Friday, March 2, 2012

staying young

I know, I've been absent. I am sorry. I don't think it's going to change much... even though, spring break is coming up... so who knows :). No big updates, though.

I thought I would just share with you some thoughts I have had in recent weeks (you can keep reading after the break):




1. Staying young is a lot about attitude.
I confess, I am buying a lot of fancier creams lately to avoid aging. Still, whenever I chat with friends and observe people, it's always a lot more about what we project about ourselves with our behavior.

2. Think positive. Force yourself to do it.
I posted about positive thinking as means to better work at the beginning of last month (ahh!! someone give me February back!).  I tell you: it works. It sorts of creates a buffer of better attitude whenever anxiety kicks in. Helplessness takes longer to settle in and, therefore, it is easier to root it out. Remember, write your positive thoughts down.

Linking this to point number one, whenever you look yourselves in the mirror, try to look at the young side of yourself. I would assume this is an extension of what I described above. I'll try doing that.

3. Work hard, play hard.
Self-contained :).

4. Share your happiness and frustrations with your loved ones.
Another obvious thing that is easy to take for granted sometimes. It's so cool when you get completely new ideas from other people. Even if it is just a new recipe to try, a new store where to buy groceries. It just expands your view of your daily life, which, immersed in routine, is sometimes difficult to change.

Also, another thing that I think is important about sharing: it's not only about telling someone what you did or what happened, but it's the experiencing together that strengthens the bonds. I believe this is linked to how the limbic parts of our brain works. I got this idea from the book A General Theory of Love, which I am still reading. And I am loving it :).

I wish I had a fifth one. It would sound cool... but I can't remember any right now. I didn't really plan to write this post. It just happened :). Oh, OK, so I guess I do have a fifth point: be Spontaneous:

I love planning. Next thing I love, is optimizing my plans. Maybe that's why I ended up studying Operations Research (it would make sense). But as any student in my program would know, optimizing under uncertainty can be hard. And if you ask your favourite Economist (and I have one at home :)), if your regret aversion function is very convex, when things don't happen the way you expect it, it can be very frustrating. So my take on this would be to try to combine (revised) planning with plain, pure spontaneity. I tried a couple of times last year and it was surprisingly gratifying.

Finally, some pictures to illustrate the above, who also inspired me to write this post (via A Cup of Jo).

P.S. It felt good to write after so long :).


1 comment:

Rouba said...

Nice post ceci. Say hi to your favorite economist ;) Rouba