Sunday, December 11, 2011

Graffiti

Last week we had our oral presentations at my Italian class. They were only 5 minutes, but when you have to do it in a foreign language you are not used to speak, 5 min can be pretty long. Anyway, there was one presentation that I really liked. A girl from my class did voluntary work with a group (within the university, if I remember correctly) that went to a school and helped painting the girls' restroom with some kind of positive message (two thumbs up!). The whole point was to do some kind of positive graffiti in the bathroom.


As part of the project, they also visited a couple of places with graffiti in NYC. This is where I raised my ears, as we would say in Spanish. They visited a place called 5 Pointz in Long Island City (illustrated above) and they also saw a painting by Os Gemeos downtown Manhattan (illustrated below, left).


As if I my list of to-do-things in NYC was not long enough, I am excited to make this addition. 5 Pointz may be a bit too far away, but I am very attracted to the Twins' work. Did you see how small the cars look next to the building? This thing must be HUGE! And even so, I am sure it's easy to miss out if you are walking only looking ahead, to the floor or to your cellphone... As it turns out, there are graffiti tours of the city, but that's a bit over the top for me. Just do a quick google search and you will get more options than you can even consider.

Do you like graffiti? I am not particularly attracted to it, but there is something about this kind of street art that brings a city to life, don't you think? It also reminds me to the stickman robots that you can find painted in the middle of the city's crosswalks, or the tile-made packman ghosts that are here and there (that one above on the right, I saw in Williamsburg).

Any other pieces of street art in New York City that I should not miss? I might as well organize my own tour :-P

(wall "decoration" you see when you wait to get in to Colbert Nation's show)

No comments: