Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pierre Cardin - fashion to the people

I just read a brief note about Pierre Cardin in the BBC Magazine. It's brief and to the point: the man is 89 years old, lucid, and controlling a fashion empire. I am not very knowledgeable about designers; to be honest, the name "Pierre Cardin" seemed to me like such a classic, that I thought he was dead already. It's an inspiring story. Really. And he's right, out of all the other major designers from the 50's and the 60's, he's the only one that didn't sell his name to a multinational. He became one of them. I let you read the article. If you are in a rush, though, here are some fun facts:

  • From humble Italian origins, Cardin moved to Paris with his father when he was 2 years old, fleeing from Mussolini. 
  • He began his career by making costumes for film-maker Jean Cocteau (who is that guy? I so wished it said Jacques Cousteau, even though it doesn't make any sense ;-) ). 
  • He never smoke a cigarette in his life (!!!); he never did drugs.
  • I never new he was famous for Space Age creations. Some of them don't look so futuristic anymore... or I am also becoming more adventurous in fashion ;-).
  • The reporter who interviewed him describes him as rather scruffy. This could sound a bit contradictory to his profession, but as the reporter well points out, not to his origins.

2 comments:

Yori said...

"I thought he was dead already"

I hope Pierre Cardin doesn't read your blog!!

Anonymous said...

rayban サングラスは人気爆発と言われています。ネットで写真を見ればわかると思います。あののレイバン RB2140は本当にかけやすいでしょう。フレームやレンズ両方にも軽いように改造された。新品のレイバン wayfarerをかければ軽快な気持ちになるでしょう。