Sunday, November 20, 2011

Capitán America (Captain America)

(via montt)

English translation: 


Today in: Superheroes with denomination of origin issues.


"Oh, yeah? Well, let me tell you that I am Captain America around here."




This comic is particularly meaningful to me because using America to call the U.S., or Americans for gringos just didn't seem right. I mean, if I was born in the American continent, I am also an American, right? I know, I know... how would we call them otherwise? Gringos is definitely not politically correct. BBC used to have a nice way to fix this ambiguity of terms. They used to* split their News sections into continents, calling The Americas what in Spanish we are taught as America. I am sticking to that one, and I will not mind calling Americans, Americans.

*Currently the subdivided the Americas into US & Canada and Latin America. 

No comments: