Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Beautiful Imperfection

Did you ever wonder how a woman would look like if she had the proportions of a Barbie doll? I always heard the typical story of how that person would not be able to walk properly because it is just anatomically impossible.

Last week I stumbled upon a the following picture, presumably featured in the Oprah Magazine:



I really like the contrast of this image. I am a very visual learner and it gives me the chill how unrealistic the figure of girl dolls are. Just as in my previous post my cousin can't tell where my niece got those crazy lyrics from, I am convinced that when young girls not only play with these dolls, but are surrounded by an environment that promotes these false image of women, create unnatural ideas of what women should look like without even noticing. This became very apparent the other day that I was window-shopping online. You usually see a garment on a pretty girl and wish you could look as gorgeous as she does... but the other day I saw a model that was a bit chobbier than usual. I swear it was just a bit. I didn't like it. I couldn't even think of buying that piece of clothes (I think it was a sweater). While rationally I know this is totally wrong, I was surprised by how embedded the idea was in my head. After 5min I was happy to see that picture. I hope these become more of a standard and less of an exception. Even if sales drop a bit for that company. Girls should not be used to seeing these unrealistic images of what they should become when they grow up.

No comments: